Monday, March 17, 2008

Returning to the scene of the crime...

I am hoping to get back into the Blue 2.0 routine today. I've been out of it for three weeks, while trying to get into IRIS Business Warehouse work. I took the training online and passed the test. They had an interesting approach to online training. A PDF document that looked like it started in Word was used to step you through the training exercises. As long as you didn't make a mistake, it was easy. All the BW basic training is based on the Financial part of IRIS. That area is not my forte. AND I was playing in the sandbox, so I was using an interesting mix of data. I am glad I don't have responsibilities in IRIS for creating reports on that data.

IRIS is a very different kind of IT animal. It is closer to my "day job" of Voyager work. There are three main parts to besides this reporting part. I've already had some training in each of the three others: FI (Financial), HR (Human Resources) and CM (Campus Management). The BWx area I am currently trying to master is supposed to make it easier for me to pull together the extracts I need for Patron record updating in Voyager. You don't get to pull your own "report" together. You get to pull a "view" of an existing report. You can submit a request for a new report, if none of the existing ones have the information you need. I am currently looking at two reports that might be usable. I need a break from that, so I am back to Blue 2.0.

Later...

No comments: